HISTORY

A HOLIDAY IS HISTORY

Stickwick Farm was built in 1779 by Robert Hole and has been in the ‘Harvey’ family since 1880. Original owner Henry Harvey lived and farmed at Stickwick with his wife Edith and they had four sons John, Frederick, Reginald and Ernest (see below).

This photo was taken at the front of Stickwick Manor, outside the dining room in 1918.
Ernest together with his wife Freda continued to farm the lands through the 2nd World War and saw the transition from horses to tractors. Ernest left the farm to his nephew Henry Harvey in 1930, when he died.

Henry (Frederick’s son) married Phylls and had two children Jean and Richard. Today Richard and wife Linda (with children Alison, Jeffery and Christopher) continue to carry on the Harvey tradition as custodians of this unique Georgian period property and farm.

 

HISTORIC COTTAGES TO RENT IN SOUTH DEVON AND DARTMOOR

Servant’s Quarters

The Farmhouse has changed little since it was built over 200 years ago.  The photo above shows Henry Harvey, Ernest Harvey, Freda Harvey and her mother Mary outside the property in 1929

FARMHOUSE TODAY

The Farmhouse was the servants quarters for the Manor and the inglenook fire place in the farmhouse dining room was the hub of the property, where meals were prepared before being served in the grand Manor dining room.  You can still see part of the old bread oven to the side of the chimney breast.  The interconnectiong doors between the Manor and Farmhouse allowed the servants to attend to their duties without being seen.

Original Bread Oven

 

COTTAGE – ORIGINAL STABLE

The Cottage was originally the stables which housed the horses that worked the land.  We still have the mounting steps to the side of the property.

The stable was converted into a house in 1970 by Linda and was the first property to have electricity at Stickwick. The original oak beams are exposed in the living room and the bedrooms in the eves create a real cosy feel to such a well used building.

Mounting steps – Help to get on your horse.

Cottage- With exposed oak beams

 

ORIGINAL FEATURES AND FURNITURE

Stickwick has many original features, and old funiture which has been collected over the years by different generations and much is rare in properties today.

Farmhouse – Dresser which was original to 1879 as this was in the original kitchen where meals were prepared in the inglenook fire place with bread oven.

Original Dresser

The Coat and Hat Stand in the Farmhouse we believe came into the house in the 1900’s and is made with a marble top and historic hand made earthenware tiles by Thomas Minton (1798 Stoke Pottery).

The inscription carved on the top ” Welcome ye coming, god speed ye parting guest” is a noble sentiment on entry, to welcomes guests to a social house of its time.


Art Nouveau washstand

THE LOVE HEART DOOR KNOCKER

In Georgian times it was a sign of your satus to build a house and was used as a way to find love. Robert Hole commissioned this love heart door knocker for his wife to be, Susannah and was made in Hennock by the blacksmith.

Its still sits proudly on the front door of the Farmhouse as it did 230 years ago!!!!


Love Heart Door Knocker

 

HENNOCK AND FAMILY CONNECTIONS

The Harvey family have been part of the Hennock Community for over 120 years.


Richard (front right) Hennock carnival approx 1950

Jean and Richard both attended Hennock primary school and even today the next generation (Alex, Liam and Eva) attend the small rural school of just 40 pupils. Linda and Richard have supported the community for over 50 years.  Linda has been a governer at the school, fund raised for the church, but has spent the majortiy of her time  supporting the village hall.
Back in the 1990’s the hall was extended and  re thatched to restore it to its former glory and Richard grew the wheat reed to thatch it with.  It was a big community affair with the villagers standing the stooks and combing the reed, before the master thatcher in the village re instated the roof.

The upkeep of the hall for the community is supported through fundraising which takes the form of the village fayre, which has now been running for 25 years.  The fayre has grown from a small local event to a large and diverse attraction, with public coming from far and wide.  The fayre consists of a vintage rally, dog show, birds of prey display; rural skills area (where Richard allows the children make ropes, watch the sheep shearing, spinning demo) stalls, and main ring attractions and lots of homemade food all made by the ladies in the village.

The Apple day in October is another annual event where apples are picked from Frost and Stickwick farm to be pressed on the day.  This is a great local event which demonstrates what can be achieved by a small community.

Today the community is at the heart of Stickwick, with regular school visits and activity days to educate the youngsters of the future, to our farm animals attending the local nativity every Christmas eve.


Our animals attend the farm nativity every Christmas eve

Visiting Stickwick is a rare opportunity to experience an authentic holiday in history and enjoy the Hennock community.